Research Assistant Trait Genetics
Dümmen Orange | hbo wo | De Lier, Netherlands
Research Assistant Trait Genetics
Oude Campsweg 35C, 2678 NN De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Assistant Trait Genetics.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As a Research Assistant Trait Genetics you will strengthen our Trait Genetics group which is part of the research department. With your solid background in bioinformatics you will assist in projects on the design of algorithms and pipelines using genomic data as well as phenomic data (image analysis). Your will also wrap up these pipelines into solutions for end-users and assist in setting up, developing and maintaining the IT solutions for our Trait Genetics team. Collaboration is an important feature of the job, and you will work closely with scientists within Trait Genetics (Boinformatics, Molecular Diagnostics, Computational Biology, Quantitative Genetics) as well as other expertise groups such as Trait Discovery, Plant Physiology, Phytopathology and Breeding. You will report to the Technology Lead Trait Genetics in De Lier.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the design, improvement and maintenance of innovative software solutions for large data challenges within research.
- Contribute to projects on developing pipelines for computer vision and image analysis (preprocessing, segmentation, machine learning, deep learning, GAN etc), genomic analyses and routine molecular breeding.
- Support in making tools and pipelines available for routine application through automation or for end-users through web-apps or Notebooks.
- Perform scouting activities for novel tools and technologies.
- You are expected to collaborate closely with other research teams (mainly Computational Biology, Plant Physiology, Trait Discovery, and Phytopathology).
- MSc in a relevant field in biology with a strong computational focus (for example bioinformatics, applied mathematics, Plant Science, data science).
- You have a thorough understanding of the Linux operating system and are proficient in coding in Python and R (other programming languages are nice to have).
- Proven experience in large-scaled NGS data analysis or advanced computer vision applications preferably using various deep learning approaches.
- Willingness to learn about DevOps (Kubernetes, Docker), databases (SQL), pipeline tools and workflow management (Snakemake) and cloud computing.
- Experience with web-apps such as Dash and RShiny is preferred.
- Ability to work independently as well as in fast-paced multidisciplinary teams.
- Affinity with plant breeding and related biological disciplines.
- Inquisitive, innovative and critical mind-set and a creative and pro-active attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills which are tailored to the target audience.
- Excellent command of English and willingness to learn Dutch.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7.300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Technology Lead Trait Genetics), via +31 174 530 100.
Mention within your application "AgriHolland Vacaturebank number AH38778".
Any commercial activities concerning this advertisement will not be appreciated.