KWS Vegetables | wo | Wageningen
As part of our growth strategy and our plans to establish state-of-the-art Research Teams for our Vegetable Business Unit, we are looking for a Genomics Scientist, based at KWS Vegetables’ headquarters in Wageningen, the Netherlands. The Genomics Scientist will contribute to and execute the research strategy of the Applied Genomics team. Areas of expertise include Bioinformatics, Biostatistics & Molecular Breeding analyses, with a focus on the development of innovative genomics concepts and the implementation of state-of-the-art technologies, methods and protocols supporting routine molecular breeding. She/He will report to the Head of Applied Genomics within the Vegetables business unit of KWS.
Contribute to the competitiveness of the worldwide KWS vegetable breeding portfolio. Assist in developing a successful strategy for the Applied Genomics team by taking responsibility for a continuous scouting of novel technologies & the development and implementaton of innovative genomic technologies, methodologies and analyses. Actively take part in the execution of the molecular breeding support which results in commercially successful vegetable varieties. Initiate, execute and evaluate research and development programs in the area of crop genomics, genetics, biostats and molecular breeding. Contribute to the creation of an internationally oriented and innovative R&D culture through establishment and maintenance of good interactions with the global vegetable breeding teams, external technology providers and the Global Research & Services Department of KWS.
Key Success Factors:
- Scouting for and collaboration within strategic partnerships with external partners, e.g. universities and technology providers;
- Development of innovative tool and methods to effectively analyze large genomic data sets;
- Implementation and execution of such tools and technologies to support vegetable breeding;
- Efficient collaboration with the Research and Service Department of KWS;
- Taking responsibility for high-quality output in supporting the breeding teams;
- Contribute to the overall professionalism of the Applied Genomics team.
- Contribute to and partly execute an innovative strategy for Applied Genomics in line with the overall goals of the KWS Vegetables crop teams;
- Effectively collaborate with the Research and Services Department of KWS to develop new, and implement state-of-the-art technologies for storage and analyses of large genomic data sets;
- Build alliances with technology providers to create proprietary genomic data of the most important vegetable crops in the KWS portfolio as well as with the academic community to stay on top of novel developments in the field;
- Collect public data and build proprietary data bases that allow comparative genomic analyses, discovery of polymorphisms and structural variation underlaying important traits within vegetable crops;
- Open-mindedly co-operate across different breeding teams world-wide with bioinformatic and statistical approaches and thereby contribute to modern-day molecular breeding of vegetable crops.
- MSc/PhD in a relevant scientific discipline;
- 3+ years of experience in (Crop) Genomics;
- Ability to get things done;
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of Crop Genomics and the usage of molecular marker analyses is highly valued;
- Experience with handling large data sets and the translation into breeding targets
- Proven ability of building collaborative research projects
- Basic knowledge on effective management of research projects;
- Language skills: English (fluent);
- International orientation.
Do you recognize yourself in this job and would you like to know more about the role within the world of KWS Vegetables, please contact our global head of Research, Martin De Vos (Martin.Vos@kws.com).
KWS is één van de voornaamste teeltbedrijven ter wereld. KWS heeft in de traditie van een familiebedrijf, meer dan 160 jaar onafhankelijk gewerkt. KWS focust zich op plantenteelt en de productie en verkoop van zaad voor maïs, suikerbieten, granen, aardappel, koolzaad en zonnebloemen. KWS past geavanceerde plantenteeltmethoden toe. 5147 werknemers vertegenwoordigen KWS in meer dan 70 landen.
Voor meer informatie gaat u naar: www.kws.com. Volg ons op LinkedIn® https://www.linkedin.com/company/kwsgroup/.
Mention within your application "AgriHolland Vacaturebank number AH38312".
Any commercial activities concerning this advertisement will not be appreciated.