Head Maize Breeding Program
Limagrain | wo | Rilland, Netherlands
Head Maize Breeding Program
Limagrain is an international agricultural co-operative group, specialized in field seeds, vegetable seeds and cereal products. Based in France, Limagrain is the 4th largest seed company in the world through its holding Vilmorin & Cie. The Group has annual sales of almost 2 billion Euros and over 8,200 employees, including 1,700 researchers, spread out over 39 countries. Limagrain conducts its business within the framework of a global, sustainable vision of agriculture and agri-food based on innovation and regulation of agricultural markets.
For further information see: www.limagrain.com
We are looking for a senior scientist to lead our Very Early Grain and Silage Maize breeding programs in Europe. These responsibilities include the coordination of different breeding projects (breeders) with an already established breeding team spread over different countries in northern Europe.This position reports to the Global Head of Temperate Maize Research and it is to be ideally located at our Research Center in Rilland, Netherlands.
Key elements of the role
- Research Strategy and business orientation:
- Define, in close consultation with global maize management and the business, the short-, medium- and long-term objectives of the breeding programs under your responsibility and the target portfolio with development and marketing teams.
- Develop the breeding strategy and germplasm structuration required to sustain the leadership of Limagrain in this key segment of our maize portfolio..
- Play a significant role with outreach and external partners to engage, review and recommend topics of scientific interest to Limagrain. Optimize breeding schemes using available methodologies, technologies or tools.
- Steers innovation in coordination with relevant internal or external stakeholders and maintain a high technical and scientific level in the Maize European team.
- Represents Limagrain on various research events or third parties collaborations in Europe.
- Operational responsibilities:
- Design and implement the breeding strategy and coordination of the programs in your market segment. Understand and allocate resources to meet such strategy, including the optimization of the the trialing network.
- Optimize breeding strategy by fully integrating novel technologies available (genomics, software, digital tools, fast cycle schemes (etc.).
- Manage and report to Business and Research Management key program indicators : genetic gain, seed productivity of inbreds; germplasm usage; quality of network, etc. Assess material through field visits , analyze all relevant data for decision making.
- People Management:
- Supervise and mentor breeders that lead breeding projects within your region. Ensure that all team members follow all the company standards (health, safety, environmental, ethical compliance, government regulations, etc). Promote innovation and maintain high technical and scientific level of your team.
- As a member of the European Maize Breeding Management Team, you are expected to develop close relationships with Maize breeders operating in other programs or other territories as well as other key partners of the Limagrain Field Seed Research organization
- Prepare and follow budgets and investments for the Maize breeding programs and appropriately justify any deviations. In collaboration with management propose mid term plan over 3 years for the program for operating and capital expenses.
- PhD or equivalent in Plant Breeding and Genetics, or a closely related field, and at least 10 years of relevant experience are required.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge in plant breeding, quantitative genetics, agronomy and seed industry acumen.
- Experience as a plant breeder of a hybrid crop in a successful commercial program, is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the target production region, associated biotic and abiotic stresses, and relevant germplasm base would be appreciated.
- Ability to use software for data analyses, management, presentation, and reporting; general competence in statistics and data management is required.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills are needed.
- Leadership skills and experience in managing people and programs desired as well as leading and driving changes.
Please apply by sending your CV and a letter of motivation to the following url address talent.limagrain.com
Vermeld bij uw sollicitatie "AgriHolland Vacaturebank nummer AH37948".
Acquisitie naar aanleiding van deze advertentie wordt niet op prijs gesteld.